Pages

Sunday, November 19, 2017

How YOU Doin'?


Hey!  Hi-ho! Hellooo!

So...  It's been a little while since I joined you here in Blog-Land (?)  SO much has happened in the intervening months (!)  It would appear that any sharing that took place during my absence here was done on Facebook -- and there wasn't that much shared or posted there, either!  

After the hustle of May, I opted to turn my focus toward getting a better handle on the homestead, and being more conscious of my health.  The Summer found me wandering the wilds with Ollie as often as possible, and spending more time moving than in the past couple of years.  I made a vow on my 49th birthday to pursue walking more diligently, and committed to at least one organized 5K a month.  To date, I have walked over 150 miles since mid-April and have completed twelve 5Ks *so far;* I've begun stretching my walks to prepare for 10Ks, from here on out.  The ultimate goal?  I want to embrace the big 5-0 by walking my 1st Half Marathon in the Spring (!)  

Let's take a pictorial look back as we catch up a bit, eh?


Scenes from a boat...
Time spent with
Ollie is never wasted!
Water flora
Water flora (pt. deux)



Just a couple of my "lake buddies"...
..and if that isn't a capital A in the clouds, I'll kiss your foot!
That, plus working was about all there was to June -- July entered and proceeded in much the same way, with a few notable differences:  on the momentous date of 7-17-17, I gave up smoking (!) -- long overdue, and far from easy -- so far, so good; I finally returned to creative work (!!!) -- it felt amazing to MAKE things again (things that had been rolling around in my noggin at night for far too long) -- and I am giddy to report that more is coming (both in this series, and outside of it)!


A new series of work (The Dream Keepers) -- begun in late June,
and the first piece hung in a show in July


Good friends, good food, and good memories:
The best things for what ails ya!
*...and "good bye" to the butts*

August brought the return to travel teaching and a 2nd engagement with The International Paper Doll Convention.  It was wonderful see so many familiar faces, and meet new ones.  I taught a packed workshop, and enjoyed participating in various aspects of "The Swinging 60s" inspired event.  A quick stop to see other pals (and make a new feline friend) on the way home, and then the much anticipated eclipse *which I celebrated by taking part in a Virtual 5K, replete with "Eclipse of the Sun 2017" medal!*  The month wrapped up with another momentous occasion:  The Girl graduated with her Master's Degree in Korean Studies from Korea University (a degree earned with straight As, I might add!).


August moments from August
More natural wonderments with Ollie,
visits with my sweet ones, and a crash course
in DIY home repairs rounded out August of '17

September found me hitting the road again, this time for The Rock n' Roll Marathon Series 5K in Virginia Beach.  The event takes place alongside the American Music Festival over the course of Labor Day Weekend.  My new walking buddy (and long time BFF) and I went all out, and got the 3-Day Pass for the Music Festival -- and the tales we can tell from that weekend would warrant a whole SERIES of blog posts -- it was QUITE memorable, to say the least!  ...and, in truth, it felt amazing to be making new laugh-until-your-cheeks-hurt memories.


Road trip:  VA Beach, here we come!
Medals, fireworks, odd street signs, amazing sushi,
and a visit from a lady bug

The Chihuly at the Museum of Contemporary Art was incredible
The full moon over the ocean on our last night was an added bonus
From just before the middle of September to the present, my attention has been split between getting serious yard work done here on the Acre, and establishing a new business in partnership with a dear and admired fellow artist.  *much more to come on the details of that venture -- I promise!*  October brought the opportunity for some hard-core adulting; you can bet your bippy that it was accompanied by some rather colorful language -- HA!  *kidding not kidding*  Suffice to say:  I now know a great deal more about the workings of homeowners insurance than I can ever imagine needing to have learned (?)  ANYway...  Live and learn, right?  I just keep on learnin'!


Stolen moments in October:  New frontiers (aka lakes) with Ollie,
realizing how old Ms Wito is getting,
and testing my new motto in wearable form

Pieces of November -- so far
A stem full of wishes, the bucket brigade headed for storage,
and laughter really
is the best medicine

Which brings us to today!  Just last weekend marked the 10th anniversary of the CMMAG's role as Workshop Fairies at Art of the Carolinas, in addition to my role as Co-Chair of the Committee that organizes our efforts there.  The yard work of October revisited me in the form of tendinitis, and for the 1st time in 10 years, I moved no water on Saturday or Sunday of that fabled weekend.  Perhaps it is time for a changing of the guard?  Other developments of the weekend might hold sway over that decision...  More to come, as details emerge, gentle reader!  Intrigued?  Me, TOO!  I promise to spill the beans as soon as I have them all in one pot!

As always:  
Onward & upward!







Words of wisdom for today:
A healthy human environment is one in which we
try to make sense of our limits, of the accidents
that can always befall us, and the passage of time
which inexorably changes us.

                           ~ Rowan Williams

4 comments:

  1. So many accomplishments! No smoking! Walking so much! All the learning! So great to hear the report!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanne!
      ...for reading, commenting, and inspiration along the way :)

      Delete
  2. WOW, this was such an upbeat, healing, and happy read.
    Your enthusiasm and positive outlook is sunnily contagious!
    hugs to you and congrats on the no-smoking and walking! Impressive.
    Kells

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dear one! So glad to "see" you, here... Gotta love the magic of the interwebs for allowing far-away friends to keep up with all the doings :)

      Delete

Something to say? I love to receive your comments and observations! * ...oh, OK, any sightings of glaring errors are also welcome ;-) *